When we are going to study the subject of automobiles, the first question that comes to our mind is what is an automobile. In the modern world, the automobile is a miracle that has made the journey of thousands of miles in an hour or minutes. They are mostly used to transport either goods or people from one place to another. In simple language, it is defined as a wheeled vehicle that carries its own motive power units. In this post, we will discuss all the parts of an automobile
Main Components of An Automobile
the automobiles that we see around us have the following components
- Basic structure.
- Power plant.
- Transmission System.
The Basic Structure
It consists of a frame, suspension system, axles, wheels, and tires.
It constitutes the Internal combustion engine which provides the power to derive the vehicle. There are many types of IC engines which are used in automobiles. Some of them are 2 stroke engine, 4 stroke engine, Wankel rotary engine etc To know more about different types of engines, visit the link given below:
It consists of a clutch, a gearbox (also called transmission) which gives four, five, or even six different ratios of torque output to torque input, a propeller shaft to transmit the torque output from the gearbox to the rear axle, and a differential gear to distribute the final torque equally between the driving wheels.
- Types of Gearbox – Complete Explanation
- Types of Clutch used in Aotomobile
- How CVT Works – Continuously Variable Transmission?
It consists of mainly electrical equipment. The electrical equipment which are common to almost all types of vehicles are:
- Supply system: Battery and Generator.
- The starter: It is used to crank the engine.
- The ignition system: The ignition system is used to produce the spark inside the IC engine. For example Battery Ignition System, Magneto Ignition System, and Electronic Ignition System
- The auxiliary devices:
- Driving lights: Headlights, sidelights, tail lights, number plate illumination, etc.
- Signaling: Horn, direction indicator, and brake light.
- Other lights: interior roof lights, panel light, and reverse light if fitted (this starts automatically when reverse gear is engaged).
- Miscellaneous: radio, heater, fans, electric fuel pump, electric windscreen wipers.
The controls of an automobile consist of: