When we are going to study about the subject automobile, the first question that comes in our mind is that what is an automobile. Here we are going to defined what is an automobile. In simple language it is defined as a wheeled vehicle which carrys its own motive power units.
Main Components of An Automobile
the automobiles that we see around us has the following components
- The basic structure.
- The power plant.
- The transmission system.
- The auxiliaries.
- The controls.
The Basic Structure
It consists of frame, the suspension system, axels, wheels and tyres.
It constitutes the Internal combustion engine which provides the power to derive the vehicle. there are so many types of engine IC engine which are used in automobile. Some of them are 2 stroke engine, 4 stroke engine, Wankel rotary engine etc
To know more about different types of engine, visit the link given below:
It consists of a clutch, a gearbox (also called transmission) which gives four, five or even six different ratios of torque output to torque input, a propeller shaft to transmit the torque output from the gearbox to the rear axle and a differential gear to distribute the final torque equally between the driving wheels.
- Types of Gearbox – Complete Explanation
- Types of Clutch used in Aotomobile
- How CVT Works – Continuously Variable Transmission?
It consists of mainly electrical equipments. The electrical equipments which are common to almost all types of vehicles are:
- Driving lights: headlights, sidelights, tail lights, number plate illumination, etc.
- Signaling: horn, direction indicator, and the brake light.
- Other lights: interior roof lights, panel light and reverse light if fitted (this starts automatically when reverse gear is engaged).
- Miscellaneous: radio, heater, fans, electric fuel pump, electric windscreen wipers.
The controls of an automobile consist of: