It is a 5 door passenger car that has a door at the back that opens (swings) upward for the cargo area. It generally comes in two configuration either 3 door or 5 door. In three-door configuration, the two doors open for the passenger area and the third door at the back is for the cargo area. In 5 door configuration, the four doors open for the passenger area, and the 5th door at the back for the cargo area.
They are the most fuel-efficient car and are compact in size. Their compact size allows you to ride it in city areas having narrow roads and streets. It is considered the best family car that has a seating capacity of 5.
Why it is Called Hatchback Car?
It is a two-boxed car in which the front box is reserved for the engine compartment and the second box is for the passenger and cargo area. In hatchback cars, the passenger and cargo (luggage) area is not separated but are combined with each other. If you open the cargo area, it means you are opening the passenger cabin from the back.
Since its back door (or hatch) swings upward to enter into the cargo area that is combined with the passenger area, it is called a hatchback car. Here you are hatching the back door of the car to enter into it and hence it is called a hatchback car.
Features of Hatchback Cars
- They are the most fuel-efficient and economical cars.
- They come with a seating capacity of either 2 or 5. But most commonly they are 5-door passenger cars.
- They are compact in size and so you can drive them anywhere from broad to narrow roads.
- They have large cargo areas as compared with sedan cars.
- The rear seats are foldable in some cars to increase the cargo area for more luggage.
- The size of hatchbacks is under 4 meters and engine capacity ranges from 0.8 to 1.5 liters (petrol, diesel). They also come in electric version too.
Examples of Hatchback Cars
The various popular hatchback cars are:
Hoda Civic, Mazda Mazda3, Volkswagen GTI, Chevrolet Bolt, Toyota Corolla, Kia Rio, Mini cooper, Subaru Impreza, toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf, Mini Electric Hardtop, Mitsubishi Mirage.
To Know More About What is a hatchback car watch the video given below.
A hatchback is usually a 5 door passenger car with a hatch or door at the back that opens upward to access the cargo area. The passenger and cargo are combined with each other. It is the most popular family car in the world that meets all the requirements of comfort and efficiency.