The different types of fluids are:
Basically the fluids are classified into 5 types and these are
1. Ideal fluid
2. Real fluid
3. Newtonian fluid
4. Non-Newtonian fluid, and
5. Ideal plastic fluid
1. Ideal Fluid: A fluid which can not be compressed and have no viscosity falls in the category of ideal fluid. Ideal fluid is not found in actual practice but it is an imaginary fluid because all the fluid that exist in the environment have some viscosity. there in no ideal fluid in reality.
2. Real Fluid: A fluid which has atleast some viscosity is called real fluid. Actually all the fluids existing or present in the environment are called real fluids. for example water.
3. Newtonian Fluid: If a real fluid obeys the Newton’s law of viscosity (i.e the shear stress is directly proportional to the shear strain) then it is known as the Newtonian fluid.
4. Non-Newtonian Fluid: If real fluid does not obeys the Newton’s law of viscosity then it is called Non-Newtonian fluid.
5. Ideal Plastic Fluid: A fluid having the value of shear stress more than the yield value and shear stress is proportional to the shear strain (velocity gradient) is known as ideal plastic fluid.
The graph between the shear stress and velocity gradient for the different types of fluids are given below:
lets check your grasp on the topic.
1. Name different types of fluids.
2. A fluid which have atleast some viscosity is known as
(i). Newtonian fluid
(ii). Real fluid
(iii). Ideal fluid
(iv). Ideal Plastic fluid
3. Name the type of fluid which does not obeys the Newton,s law of viscosity.
4. Write true or false for the following
(i). Fluids which are incompressible and have no viscosity is known as real fluid.
(ii). A ideal plastic fluid have the value of shear stress less than the yield value.
(iii). Ideal fluid exist in reality.
(iv). Newtonian fluids obeys the Newton,s law of viscosity.