We are familiar with the word wheel. After hearing the word wheel a picture of circular object strikes to our mind. It plays an important role in driving a vehicle. Without wheels the motion of a vehicle is not possible.
The varies requirements of an automobile wheels are:
- It must be strong enough to perform the functions such as to take vehicle load, provide a cushioning effect and cope with the steering control.
- It should be balanced both statically as well as dynamically.
- It should be lightest as possible so that the unsprung weight is least.
- It should be possible to remove or mount the wheel easily.
- Its material should not deteriorate with weathering and age.
What do you mean by Unsprung weight?